Friday, July 5, 2013

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? The Helping Hands Quilt is done!


Hi, all!

It's Friday again!!  Are you ready to get your whoop whoop on???  I know I am!  I've got something special to share today - I guess you could call it OUR quilt!  Because lots of you had a part in it...



Many of you responded when I asked you to contribute to something called the Helping Hands Project - a way to honor the people who have participated in some way in our quilt ministry, which was nearing completion of its 500th quilt.  The blocks we received were amazing!  It was so much fun to see the variety, each giving a hint of what the maker was like.  And now I'd like to share with you pictures of the finished quilt!  Be warned - there are LOTS of pics in this post!!

First of all, here's a picture of the whole quilt...



Do you know how hard it is to get a full shot of a quilt this big?  I had to lay it on the floor next to a stairwell at church, then go up the stairs and lean out to get the shot!

And here are some shots of the blocks and quilting.  I had a lot of fun with the quilting on this one - I used lots of different stitches and tried out a lot of new things....





I'd love to know how Diane made her hand!

Clamshell quilting is pretty, isn't it?


I love this block - hands threading a needle!

Tried something a little different on this block -
creating my own negative space is new to me!

Feathers are still a bit wonky...

Don't you love this?  She put a tiny quilt on her block!

For people who didn't have a chance to send in a block, I made a lot of small hand blocks and put names on them for all the donors I could remember or find records of...

P.'s block.  I know I want to meet her in person some day!  We have the same taste in fabric and colors!


Some more new quilting techniques...


See the logo my niece (the artist, not the math geek/quilter) created for us?  I just had to add it in to the quilt!

And here are some shots of the back - it's fun to see all the quilting without the distraction of the colors!






And finally, one more shot of the finished quilt...


Many many thanks to all of you who helped with this project, and to those of you who have donated to the quilt ministry!  It's been an amazing ride so far - 535 quilts in three and a half years and hopefully many more to come!  Started by accident, this ministry could not have succeeded without the helping hands that have touched so many lives with quilt-y hugs and goodness!  

This quilt will hang in my church to commemorate those helping hands and the 500+ quilts they have shared with those in need.

"What does love look like?
It has the hands to help others.
It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy.
It has eyes to see misery and want.
It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men.
That is what love looks like."


*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!!

What are you whooping about this week?

Finished or not, please share!!

We want to whoop with you!!

The party will remain open until Sunday at midnight.
Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah




21 comments:

  1. Fantastic quilting! It really makes it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what an outstanding quilt. How much fun to get to use so many different quilting styles!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful quilt to commemorate such an occassion. You did a fantastic job in quilting to make all those hands meld into a special quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fantastic quilt! I love how there is so much to look, colours and all the blocks are gathered so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that quilt, well done to everyone involved. Great job on the quilting, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that quilt looks awesome! The quilting is really really nice, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic quilt and even more fantastic quilting. Congratulations! I try to learn embroidery, and I'm pretty happy with my dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is beautiful and so touching. What a wonderful thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoop for your quilt, it's amazing! I love Diane's wordy had too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun quilt! It will inspire many!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many, many whoops from me! Both quilt and quilting are awesomely gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! It looks more beautiful than I imagined and the quilting is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such an awesome quilt! You did such a nice job quilting it too. What a beautiful tribute to all the helping hands!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The most precious quilts are those of many hands - way to put it literally! This is one fantastic finish, love all that quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful quilt and what a great way to celebrate all the quilts and quilters who've helped in the ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the hands and the quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Helping Hands quilts is awesome. Your quilting complements the hand blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That quilt is wonderful. It is cool to see how many people want to help when asked. All of the quilts that your group has made has given lots of love. Great job on the quilting. I bet that was fun getting to play around with so many different styles. I LOVE the back!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. AMAZING quilting!! And fabulous quilt!! LOve it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!