Wednesday, September 16, 2015

What's On The Bookshelf Wednesday - A Slight Departure!


Hi, all!

Welcome to another What's On The Bookshelf Wednesday!  Today we're going to take a slight departure from quilting books, because I've been feeling a real urge to do some non-quilty sewing lately - little girl dresses, mostly!  So today I'm going to share one of my favorite little sewing books with you!


One-Yard Wonders by Rebecca Yaker and Patricia Hoskins is just chock-full of great little projects you can make with just one yard of fabric.  I picked up this book back in 2010 when I resolved to work on using up my stash, before I started quilting.  It seemed like the perfect solution to using up all those fabrics I had collected over the years!

It's broken into sections that cover home projects, organization, clothing, purses, children's clothing and accessories, toys, and even things for your pets.


There are a wide variety of projects, requiring differing levels of sewing skills.  I love this little mitered blanket, which I actually made many years ago using a sweet rainbow-striped flannel.


And check out Elodie, the elephant!  Unfortunately, my youngest granddaughter doesn't really like stuffed animals, so I rescued Elodie and put her on my own shelf!



This is just one of the eight bags in the book...


And look at this great origami-style divided tray! I've been dying to make this one, maybe now is the time!


And this is my absolute favorite thing in the whole book - a darling toddler pinafore just perfect for tying on over pants or leggings and a t-shirt.  I've even made it reversible for two outfits in one.


There are one hundred and one sewing projects in this book - you're sure to find something you want to make!  I want to look at it again with a quilter's eye - I wonder how many of the projects could be turned into scrappy projects to use up those tubs of scraps cluttering up my sewing room?

So that's what's on my bookshelf this week.  Have you looked at yours lately?

Hugs!

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I helped one of our younger sewing group members cut out a pair of baby leggings from a One Yard Wonder book last night. She's just learning to sew, and I passed my OYW book onto her as so many of the projects are perfect for a new sewists, and yet practical for our lives. We even cut up a rarely used nursing shawl for the knit fabric, making it an upcycled project. This is an excellent book, IMO, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I borrowed that book from the library a couple years ago and made a super cute apron from one of the patterns in it. I may have to borrow it again!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!