Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I May Have A Scrap Problem... My Oranges Are Blue!

Hi, all!

April showers may bring May flowers, but April scrap-sorting brought orange peels to my house!  It's been an eventful and busy month, and my efforts barely made a dent in my blue tub of scraps, but at least it's a start.  Here's what I started with...


...slightly over ten and a half pounds of blue scraps.  That's about twenty-nine yards of fabric!  I started out my month by pulling out the largest scraps for the orange peel segments, which eventually resulted in this top!


I really love the way this turned out - there's just something about true scrappiness that makes me happy!!


I used an interesting technique to make these orange peel blocks, from a new book by Lara Bucella called Crafted Appliqué.  I'll be reviewing the book on May 13th (with a giveaway!) so be sure to come back then for more about this quilt!!


And just one more picture, because it's so stinkin' pretty!!

I also made another scrappy quilt this month, although I didn't pull the fabric from my blues bin.  These fabrics came from my overflowing binding scraps tub!  I pulled out all the solids, pressed them flat again, and make a jelly roll race quilt from them.  I just love the way it turned out!  With a jelly roll race quilt, you can only hope for the best with color layout, but this one is a winner...


This past Sunday afternoon, with the end of the month just around the corner, I pulled out the unfinished (meaning unsorted) blue tub and set up for business on my sewing counter.  Here's what I started with...



...and here's what I had by the end of the afternoon!  A big improvement on the original.  There are a lot of strings in there, but my string bin is definitely overflowing, so they will remain in the blue bin until I have time to make more string blocks and reduce the overcrowding!



So that was my month of April scrappy results.  I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, but I was also working on another big project, so I'll take these results and keep moving forward!  After all, life happens to all of us... On the positive side, though, all of my scrap related sewing was made from stash, fulfilling my Sew My Stash 2016 goals!

Now it's your chance to show off your scrappy progress!  What did you work on this month?  I've seen some wonderful scrap quilts popping up on the internet - let's see what you've been doing!  You can link up below until next Tuesday night - and remember to go check out all the scrappy inspiration in the other link ups!

Next week I'll be sharing my May goals, and I hope you'll join me and share yours, too! I think it will be a good time for some more scrappy inspiration, so check back even if you haven't settled on a goal - maybe you'll see something you've just got to make!

Hugs!

Sarah

17 comments:

  1. Oh, Sarah, I just love them both! I look forward to your book review! Like so many others, Orange Peels really speak to me and I'm interested in a new way to construct the blocks. I think that's the coolest jelly roll race quilt I've seen yet! Clever ways to use up your binding scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing Lara's blog hop too and thought about the orange peel I had just finished with turned under edges and burned fingers from the iron :). I can't wait to read your review and do another orange peel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what the technique is! I love orange peel but hate fusible in a quilt so I am hoping the technique will have a way to deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty orange peel quilt. I always thought I wouldn't want to make one. After seeing your orange peel quilt I might like to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing how many scraps we can all accumulate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great progress!! April has been a slow month for me, and I haven't even had a chance to think about tackling my scraps. Maybe next month.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got nowhere with scraps this month but I finished up two large quilts....one completely from stash and completed a large gift quilt. Today is the day I pull those 2" scrap squares to the forefront and get going :-) I love your orange peel blue quilt. It's funny but the way the light hits the quilt seams in the photo...it looks like thin grey sashing. That would be a nice look :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE seeing your scrappy posts! I definitely don't have as much fabric as you do, but I really enjoy seeing you get creative ... It has helped get my own juices flowing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your orange peel quilt - couldn't be more perfect! Did you enjoy the construction method you used? I'm interested in learning more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You make my head spin with all you've accomplished. I adore the orange peel, it is one of my favorites. Just beautiful! You are daring to use a solid jelly roll. Love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both awesome quilts! I adore scrappy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. True scrappiness always makes me happy too Sarah. I'm so in love with how your orange peel quilt turned out! Thanks for the shout out too. :)
    I'm always in awe over all you accomplish! The jelly roll race did turn out fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those orange peels are absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a bit behind this week, but I love this orange peel quilt, blue and white is always so lovely. I guess I'll learn more later, but I'm curious how big you made your orange peels. I've been wanting to do one of these, but not sure how big I want to go with the peels (notice I didn't say "how small" LOL!).

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!