Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Something a Little Different Tonight!

Hello, all!

I just thought I'd share something different than quilting tonight - I've been making some clothes for an adorable little girl and today I finished two shirts for her to wear around Easter time.


In the past, I've done a few appliques, usually using a simple technique - Heat-n-Bond on the back, then zigzag around the edges after ironing it on the fabric. But I've done a lot of appliques lately, and I've been experimenting with different ways to attach and embellish them.

The bunny above is done using the simple zigzag technique, with an added bow to embellish it. (I am so grateful that I went to that scrapbooking class recently - I finally learned how to easily tie a really cute flat bow!) The chick, though, is a multi-layered and blanket stitched applique, with stitched embellishment for his topknot and painted eyes and beak. I like the way the egg turned out - I wanted it to look like this little chick popped out of an Easter egg!

I've even done a few appliques where I used a backstitch, done by hand, inside the edge of the fabric so that it will fray in the wash and look softer. There are so many things you can do lately with children's clothes - I love trying out all the new techniques!!

So anyway, that's one of the things I've been working on this week. I'll have pictures of the sudoku quilt to post tomorrow - it's almost finished, just needing a few final touches, a good washing, and photos!

Cute Lilli moment this week - yesterday I was standing next to her at the kitchen island while she watched a movie, and she leaned over towards me, put her arms around me and said, "I love you, Nana!" That's the first time she's ever said that spontaneously - so sweet!!

Have a great evening!! Later!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Awww... that is sweet! :) Makes all the 2 and 3 year old moments worth it! :) Love love love those shirts... they are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!