Friday, June 11, 2010

Sew&Tell Friday - "I Can't Quilt!" Debunked! And A Mini-Quilt

Hi, all!!

Wow! It's been an exciting week!  I've finished a quilt for Another Little Quilt Swap 4, joined my first quilting bee, for some insane reason volunteered to do the first month, AND I've started falling into the hexie black hole!

But first - a finish by my friend Cassie!  Cassie started out this year saying, "I can't quilt!"  She is now the poster child for "Yes You Can!"  This is actually her second quilt, but she did this one without much assistance at all, and it's the first full size quilt she's done.  Isn't it beautiful!!


Cassie and I have such a funny relationship - my daughter isn't a whole lot younger than Cassie, but when I'm with Cassie, I really don't think about the difference in our ages until she says something like, "I used to watch that on video when I was a kid!" and I have to say, "We didn't have videos when I was a kid!!"

And here's my finish for the week, aptly named Mid Century Modern - but first the inspiration, a Frank Lloyd Wright window design:

And the end result:


Here's a close-up of the quilting stitch I hinted at in an earlier blog post:


I really love the way this little quilt came out - the interlocking squares in the quilting makes the back as interesting as the front, I think!   And the fabrics (just stuff from my stash that I didn't even remember until I ran across them in a stash box) look so much like glass with the sun coming through - serendipity!  My husband looked at it and said, "You're giving this away?"  I told him yes, but we'd get another in exchange.  He looked at me as if I was crazy and said, "It won't look as good as this one!"  High praise from my husband - but he's not seen the beautiful quilts that have already been posted for the swap - and more to come!  I can't wait to see all the designs as they are posted.....

KarrieLyne of Freckled Whimsy is "bee mama" on a new quilting bee called "Bee Splendid" and I've decided to jump in!  It's my first quilting bee, and I'm really excited!  As I mentioned before, I volunteered to take on the first month, which means I've really got to get moving to get pattern and fabrics picked out and in the mail before the end of June!  I'm really leaning towards making a scrappy quilt, so I can probably pull most of the fabrics out of my stash - hooray!!!  More on this in the next couple of weeks.....

We are going to a family wedding this weekend, which means lots of sitting around while traveling and in the hotel.  With this in mind, I'm cutting out paper hexies and fabric tomorrow to take with me - we'll see if I can avoid the addiction or if I'm going to end up with something made of hexies........

I'm headed off now to check out all the other wonderful Friday finishes on Amy's Sew&Tell Friday - stop by and see them for yourself!!  Have a great weekend!!

Later!

Sarah

21 comments:

  1. How wonderful of you to share your love for quilting. I'm still trying to find a brave soul to let me teach them :o)
    Her quilt is a simple design that makes a pretty impact.
    I love what you have done! I'm a sucker for stained glass quilts. I'll have to remember the quilting you did for another project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow, wow! I really, really love that Frank Lloyd Wright inspired quilt! Might you do a tutorial for it sometime, please (or sell a pattern)? I love the fact you went with brown sashing and back, and that quilting is just perfect for it. I like your friend's quilt as well. How neat to be a mentor and encouragement to someone new to quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! It reminds me of stain glass! You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sarah!! I love that mini quilt!! It's amazing! And serendipity...it's my favourite word :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little Frank Lloyd Wright quilt is gorgeous! I really, really like the quilting you did on it too. Perfect!

    I'd say your friend Cassie is doing exceptionally well with quilting. That is one very lovely quilt she made. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the window pane quilt that you did. Uber-fantabulous! Sew On!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great jobs for both you and Cassie. I love your mini! The stitching is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the window pane you made. Yeah, another quilting buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cassie did a GREAT job! That's awesome! And I love the mini-quilt - I remember you posting about the stitch and I wanted to see the whole thing! I'm thinking if you did a full size quilt with that quilting stitch pattern... It would have taken so much longer I would have gotten impatient! It looks soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your "quilt daughter" sounds a lot like mine! Isn't it fun to share quilting with them?
    Love your little quilt! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love how you captured the window with fabric! The stitches are great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow both quilts are super CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that quilting on your swap... and I love your husbands reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, quilt daughter. That makes Sarah my Quilt-Mommy =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. If Cassie is making her second quilt it looks like we have another quilter to welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. She has done a great job. Your mini quilt is wonderful and such a work of art. Lucky recipient.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!