Friday, June 25, 2010

Sew&Tell Friday - Some Bits and Pieces!

Hi, all!


Well, it's Friday again - and time to link to Amy's Sew & Tell Friday!  It's been a fairly productive week - it started off with this little quilt, which is going to a mom who's just been put on modified bed rest for the last few weeks of her pregnancy.  We thought it might cheer her up a little, and it's such a fun quilt - all the little kids on it flying kites!  It's not a fancy quilt - just a bunch of strip print panels that I sewed together in a pinwheel - but it will make a great play quilt as the baby grows up!


Here's a picture of the new label we're trying out for the quilt ministry - I got the idea from Oh! Fransson's labeling process.  I like it because it's a little more subtle, and doesn't compete with any design on the back.


I also worked on blocks for Amy's Simple Sampler Quilt Along this morning.  Here's what I came up with for the first two:



I'm really proud of myself, too - I didn't go to the store at all,  just used fabrics out of my stash!  I've got a pack of fifteen fat quarters that I was holding back to do a quilt for Lilli's new "bruddersisser", whenever he/she gets here, and decided that this quilt would be as good as any to make it up in!  I think it's going to be really cute when we get all the squares done!  It's so easy to just do a couple of blocks a week - these only took about half an hour, that I'm thinking about working on several of these in different fabrics, then finishing them up for Christmas presents - just gotta pull out some fabrics!

Then I worked up two squares for Bee Splendid.  This is my month, so I'll be excited to see what everyone sends back to me, but I thought I really ought to try to make it myself before everyone else had to just in case there was something really weird about the directions or the fabric I sent!  I love the way these came out - it's going to make a wonderful, scrappy, colorful quilt, I think!!


And once again, these fabrics came out of my stash - well, at least most of them - I had to buy some white on white pieces - I just don't have a lot of white in my stash.  I can see, though, that I'm going to need to keep some on hand.  I love these blocks and I can foresee doing lots of these in the future!  I think it would make a good Saturday quilting bee block........

And last but not least, Beth over at Love Laugh Quilt is doing a Striped Challenge, and I decided to join in.  I pulled out some striped fabric today and while I was looking at several, I realized that one of them had the same colors as a piece of fabric I picked up a long time ago.  I love the brilliant green sunbursts on this teal blue fabric but hadn't been able to find anything to use it for - it's a little odd in coloration and didn't quite work with anything else I had paired it up with... But when I put it with this stripe, I just loved the combination!


I'm thinking of doing several and sashing them in white - but I may change my mind when I have more than one to lay out and see how they work together!  This may not be quite what Beth had in mind, and it probably won't be the only thing I work on with stripes for this challenge, but I love this block!  Thanks to Beth, though, I'll  have some more stripes to play with - I won her striped fabric giveaway!  My first win - and what a great one!  So stay tuned for more striped projects - I can't wait!!

So now, I'm heading over to Amy's Sew & Tell Friday to see what everyone else has been working on this week!  Be sure to check them all out!!

Later!

Sarah

20 comments:

  1. Adorable strippy quilt! Love the cute fabric!

    Great blocks-Jacob's Ladder has always been a favorite with me-you can get so many interesting lay outs with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cracked up over "bruddersisser"!

    You are so busy. I need some of that motivation to rub off on me:) All of your new blocks are great, but I really like the stripes in the last one. Congratulations on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really like this idea of using large strips to fashion a quilt. I may have to learn to quilt afterall. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at all that you accomplished this week! I'm impressed and an in awe! Such fun blocks and beautiful fabric! Great way to finish the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh you have been a busy bee this week and all made from fabric you had all the time. Thanks for linking to 'lush friday'. Hope to see you again next week, same time, same place.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very cute quilt. BTW i like that idea for labeling too. I've been looking around for ways to label a quilt and that's a very discrete but still impactful way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you have been busy! Love all those blocks and colors. Very cute quilt! You can never go wrong with kites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you can some of your quilting energy and send it my way? Seriously, these are all great blocks! So pretty and colorful and fun. Great labeling idea too. That strippy kite flying print quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a lot of blocks! They all look great. I really love your label. It gives a perfectly finished look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. quilt looks great. I have not seen that label process and will have to go search, but thanks for the reminder because I need to go put a label on the quilt I am working on :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the strip quilt! It may not have been complicated to make, but the finished project looks complicated! What a great design. I also really like the quilt label. I hadn't seen that done before; what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you have here. My grandma used to quilt - still would, but after her stroke, things got hard! I would love to learn someday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boy, you have some lovely projects! That is very sweet of you to create the little baby quilt. I love the fabrics you chose. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you have been busy this week! Everything looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although I am always pulling from my stash for projects...I just can't help myself when new fabric calls my name. I love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of pretty things here today! I especially like those blocks for bee splendid! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the fun baby quilt! It will such a comfort for the mommy-to-be to use a quilt and dream of the days to come when baby can use it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am impressed the stripes all face the same direction in that last block. Mine never do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have been busy! Love all the projects you are working on...especially your bee blocks. Congratulations on your win.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!