Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What's Cookin' at The Sweatshop, Week #28 - That Little Engine..

Hi, all!


I feel like that proverbial little engine - I think I can, I think I can!  So many quilts needs on the list right now, and here are the five that we delivered this week....




This lovely quilt was pieced by Sabrina, a new ministry member, and went to a gentleman who has had liver cancer for a very long time....




This glorious batik quilt was pieced by Robin, and found a new home with a woman who will be undergoing a serious surgery soon with an extended recovery time.




This beautiful quilt was made with blocks paper pieced by Sharon...  which you've got to see up close!




The quilting on this one was fun to do - I did a large random meander in the outer border, a loopy trail in the brown sashing between the blocks, a clamshell pattern in the block borders, and a very tiny stipple in the white surrounding the object in the block.  There is no quilting over the actual fruit or vegetable.  They stand out so nicely now!!


And Pam worked her usual magic and pieced a beautiful back for this quilt.  It is going to a woman who just had surgery for a quadruple bypass.




(Yes, the above picture is sideways - but work with me, people!)  This pretty quilt was pieced by Diane, and is going to a gentleman with cancer who has only been given a short time to live....


And this quilt, pieced by Pam S. from blocks donated by Megan, is going to a gentleman recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  He also has diabetes, and surgery is not an option for him, so he will be undergoing chemotherapy.


So those are the quilts we've delivered this week.  Six more quilts for sick people are on the list right now, and we've had a minor baby boom around church, so there are several baby quilts to make, too!  See why I feel like that little engine?


AND - - - it looks like we'll be in our new sewing space at church in the next week or so!  Woohoo!!  We've already started accumulating shelving so that when the room is cleared out, we can jump right in and start moving stuff over there!   I'll start taking pictures of the space so you can follow our progress....


Thanks to all of you wonderful quilt bloggers who help this ministry thrive!  We couldn't do it without you!!


Hugs!


Sarah

7 comments:

  1. Your post and pictures are very inspiring! We have a quilt ministry at my church. I envisioned it to be like your ministry. We are a small congregation and I'm the committee/ministry. I'm always hopeful that when a quilt is presented to be prayed over, that someone will step up to volunteer to help! In the meantime, I keep sewing away! Thanks for your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ministry always manages to make the backs of the quilts as wonderful as the fronts. Your quilting is a beautiful match for Sharon's quilt. Thanks for sharing photos of this lovely batch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful group of quilts!!! Your ministry provides so much comfort. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all beautiful! I know they brighten the days of many people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts for very worthy causes. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ARE the little engine that could - you are so inspiring! I am sure these bring much comfort to those who are blessed to receive them. Thanks for caring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeep! Those Jacob's Ladder blocks look so much more beautiful in a quilt than they did in a dusty stack on my shelves! All my best to Pam S (and you for the quilting, I'm guessing?) for getting 'er done and sending the quilt to a good home. Keep chugging along!! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!