Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What's On The Bookshelf Wednesday - It's Back!!!

Hi, all!

It's Wednesday, and time to look on the bookshelf again to see what wonderful treasure is waiting to be re-discovered!  I've got a beautiful book to share with you today - Modern Bee by Lindsay Conner!!


"Quilting bees began as a way for people to socialize around a common hobby."

With these words, Lindsay begins her wonderful book about how to start a quilting bee.  Now, if you've never been part of an on-line quilting bee, you've missed an experience.  I joined in one shortly after I started quilting, and have a beautiful scrappy Jacob's Ladder quilt on my guest bed to show for it.  I also learned how to make blocks using new techniques that I had never tried before.  It is a great way to stretch yourself, make new friends, and end up with a quilt full of memories!


Lindsay's book starts with a section on how to organize a new quilting bee, including tips on troubleshooting common problems that may arise.  


Then the book moves into the quilt designs - thirteen beautiful quilt broken up in to three different sections - beginner blocks...


...confident beginner blocks...


...and intermediate blocks.


The patterns are well written, with excellent and clear diagrams to assist in understanding the assembly of each block.



Here's a picture of one of my favorite quilts from the book.  I had the pleasure of seeing this quilt up close and personal, at Lindsay's book launch party (she lives in nearby Nashville!)


FYI, if you've ever wondered if Angela Walters' quilting is as beautiful as it looks, trust me, it is!  This quilt was a wonderful example of her workmanship, and I'm so glad I got to see it in person!

If you've ever thought of organizing an on-line quilting bee, I would definitely recommend this book for you.  It's chock full of important information that you'd otherwise have to learn the hard way!  And even if you're not into the quilting bee idea, it has thirteen truly beautiful quilts to add to your bucket list!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

So that's what's on my bookshelf this week.  Have you taken a look at yours lately?

Hugs!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!